The student news site of Western Albemarle High School - Crozet, VA

Art Thee Going to New York?
Art Thee Going to New York?
Zoey Sauerwein, Assistant Editor • April 14, 2024
In 2020, mere days before opening night, the world (including the musical), was shut down in attempts to mitigate the COVID-19 pandemic.
"Addams Family" Musical Makes Spring Spooky
Olivia Moore, Assistant Editor • April 10, 2024
Art Fest in The West Photo Gallery
Art Fest in The West Photo Gallery
Cooper Shelton, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

Kate Voelmle: Balancing Success in the Classroom and on the Court

Credit: Kate Veomle
Veomle sports a 11 game-point-average and 5 rebounds per game.

Kate Voelmle has been a crucial part of Western’s Girls Varsity Basketball team’s success. Kate is a forward/center, and leads the team in scores and rebounds. Kate has played basketball her whole life and her love for the sport has only grown. “I am passionate about basketball … I love the process of getting better,” she said. “Winning games with my team is fun but one of my favorite things is to be in the gym working on different aspects of my game, and seeing your work pay off in games is very rewarding.”

Kate’s passion and work ethic show on the court, where she is one of the best and most intense players in the district. Mclean Stokes, a teammate, said, “Kate is an amazing leader who pushes her teammates to get better and sets an example for others. Her passion and work ethic make her somebody you’d want on your team.”

Voelmle has high expectations for this year “I see us doing very well and going far because we are an experienced team who have played together for a while and we trust each other. We also have a lot of talent across the board.” She also believes the team’s chemistry will have a large role in their success. “We have seven returners and so we have a lot of chemistry on the court and play very well together because we know how each other plays and where one another excels.”

Voelmle is very excited about this year, and believes the team could do great things with hard work. “My end goal for this year is to help take my team as far as possible by continuing to work hard in practice and games. We obviously want to continue to win and make it far in the

playoffs but as long as we are working hard and worrying about what is right in front of us the results will follow.”

Off the court, Kate is a great student, but time management can be very difficult for any student-athlete, Kate said, “Balancing school and basketball can be hard at times, especially during junior year. But as long as I stay organized and manage my time well it is never an issue. In fact I think I am able to focus more on homework after I get home from practice because I got to have a break from school and social media.”

Donate to The Western Hemisphere
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Western Albemarle High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.