The student news site of Western Albemarle High School - Crozet, VA

Riders test out the WAHS mountain bike course the night before the big event.
WAHS Hosts Mountain Bike Event
Cooper Shelton, Staff Writer • June 3, 2024
Dan Bledsoe and Cal Miller
Dan Bledsoe Named New Athletic Director
Sophie Mathew, Assistant Editor • May 31, 2024

Update: Collective Bargaining Agreement Unanimously Passes ACPS School Board

Credit: Annabelle Mackey
The School Board’s exercise of emergency powers, collective bargaining barriers, such as the verification of employee authorization cards, slowed the negotiation process.

The Albemarle Education Association (AEA) and ACPS School Board passed a collective bargaining agreement on April 11, 2024, following two years of negotiations. The resolution unanimously passed the school board in a 7 – 0 vote. Following the enactment of Virginia House Bill 582 in May 2021, which legalized collective bargaining in the state of Virginia, the AEA began advocating for a collective bargaining agreement that would allow school employees to negotiate work contracts. Once Charlottesville City Schools passed its own collective bargaining resolution, ACPS felt more pressure to reach an agreement with the AEA due to Charlottesville City Schools’ close proximity and accessibility to Albemarle County. According to ACPS, “the resolution creates two possible bargaining units: one for licensed instructional staff and the other for education support professionals, or classified staff.”

Donate to The Western Hemisphere
$25
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Western Albemarle High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.