The student news site of Western Albemarle High School - Crozet, VA

Riders test out the WAHS mountain bike course the night before the big event.
WAHS Hosts Mountain Bike Event
Cooper Shelton, Staff Writer • June 3, 2024
Dan Bledsoe and Cal Miller
Dan Bledsoe Named New Athletic Director
Sophie Mathew, Assistant Editor • May 31, 2024

Graduating Seniors Take a Final Bow with Play “Our Town”

Credit: Ika Gottlieb
The second acts ends with George and Emily getting married

This year, drama has held two plays, “Trap” and “The Addams Family.” Now, another has risen to their ranks: “Our Town,” a student-run play, recognizable from being on the AP English Literature reading list this year.

Directed by seniors Jacob Walton, Emory Huck, and Mary Kate Camblos, “Our Town” narrates a bitter-sweet love story set in the main characters’ hometown, with themes of mortality and paying attention to the little things in life.

The play centers around characters Emily, played by senior Sarah Garland, and George, played by junior Jackson Davis, as they fall in love, get married, and eventually die. Other central characters include Emily’s parents, Mrs. and Mr. Webb (senior Kylie Hughs and junior Jake Beard, respectively) and George’s parents, Mrs. and Dr. Gibb (freshman Anna Pinto and sophomore Stokes Skelley, respectively), with narration by Matt Neu.

For many cast members who are seniors, “Our Town” will be their last production at WAHS. Garland explained its bittersweet nature, saying “it’s the last show, [and] I get to do it with all these amazing people, but I’m leaving them soon.”

Similar sentiments are intensified by the content of the play, which highlights the inherent impermanence of life and the importance of making the most of it. “[The story] is kind of the same emotions as being a senior [and] going to college… everything wrapping up, coming to an end,” co-director Camblos explained.

Recently, drama has tended toward lighter productions; last year’s musicals “Matilda” and “Into the Woods,” paired with this year’s plays, have largely been bright and funny. Now, “Our Town” veers in a different direction, playing on slightly darker, existential themes as the school year comes to a close.

“Putting on a darker play has highs and lows,” Garland said. “I personally feel like it’s more difficult to put on a darker play. With a comedic show, you can just make the audience laugh… but with a darker show, you need to make sure that the audience is feeling the emotions that you’re feeling as well.”

Despite its heavier nature and the challenges that arise for actors, the show was complex and overflowing with emotion.

Donate to The Western Hemisphere
$25
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Western Albemarle High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.