The student news site of Western Albemarle High School - Crozet, VA

Art Thee Going to New York?
Art Thee Going to New York?
Zoey Sauerwein, Assistant Editor • April 14, 2024
In 2020, mere days before opening night, the world (including the musical), was shut down in attempts to mitigate the COVID-19 pandemic.
"Addams Family" Musical Makes Spring Spooky
Olivia Moore, Assistant Editor • April 10, 2024
Art Fest in The West Photo Gallery
Art Fest in The West Photo Gallery
Cooper Shelton, Staff Writer • April 10, 2024

It’s the End of the World!

The drama department of WAHS has dealt with increased challenges this fall while Ms. Caitlin Pitts, Western’s musical theater teacher, has been away during initial preparations for “The Perfect Ending”, a one-act play. “The Perfect Ending” is a comedy about an American family in the 1950s who tries their best to throw a dinner party during the end of the world. senior Natasha Jacques will play the lead role as “Mother”, while Jacob Walton is cast as the “Civil Defense Warden”, and Emory Hux as “Sister.”

Not only will the play be performed on the 3rd of November at WAHS, it will also be entered into the Virginia High School League (VHSL) competition. The drama department will travel to pitch their 35-minute play against those from other area high schools. 

Despite the additional responsibilities and challenges during production in the absence of Pitt’s leadership, drama students have been working to move the production forward.

“It’s actually been going really well since we have such incredible student leaders in WAHS drama,” Walton said. “I’m also a part of the tech group as well, so we have been working hard on getting the lights and logistics organized[…]we also have our wonderful technical theater class that’s been designing props and sets and getting things all together as well.”

The drama department says that it’s not just the actual performance they enjoy, but also the entire production and travel experience. 

“I think it is traveling to a competition, being with friends, and the chill of the air at six in the morning as we load into the bus[…]and just having that shared experience with everyone,” Walton said when asked what his favorite part of the One Act play is. 

Despite coping with the absence of Pitts during much of the initial preparation, this year’s one-act play has given the drama department the opportunity to work more independently toward a perfect ending. 

Donate to The Western Hemisphere
    $0
    $500
    Contributed
    Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Western Albemarle High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.