Comically Queer: Heartstopper Review

Lee Marcel, Editor in Chief

“Heartstopper” is a revolutionary queer show that you can watch with the whole family. The Netflix exclusive show based on the iconic comics by Alice Osemen has a 100% on rotten tomatoes and has topped the trending charts for days, and it’s easy to see why. With lovable characters and relatable teen drama, everyone will find someone or something that they relate to, even if you’re not gay.

The first season is based on the first two books, while the already announced season two will be based on books three and four. Nick and Charlie, the two main characters, start off as best friends as the new school year starts and slowly become inseparable. Charlie, a boy who was outed and bullied for being gay all of his ninth year, develops a crush for the seemingly straight Nick, whose the star of the rugby team. As the season progresses, the two must face bullies, homophobia, and resistance from all sides as they navigate their new-found relationship. 

Alongside the two boys, there are other students that are dealing with their own struggles. Ben Hope, a boy that Charlie was secretly “dating” while he was being bullied, is struggling with his sexuality and becomes progressively hostile throughout the show, while school homophobe and all around terrible guy Harry is harassing everyone who walks his way. 

Tao, Charlie’s best friend, tries to deal with the loss of his “old life” as his friends begin to move on, all while trying to protect Charlie from Nick, who Tao thinks is playing with Charlie’s feelings. Across the way at the girls’ school, Tara and Darcy deal with coming out as lesbians to their school, and Elle, a trans girl, tries to navigate her new best life and a new crush on Tao. 

While social and political progress has definitely helped with homophobia and transphobia, shows like “Heartstopper” that are geared towards younger audiences are super important so that discussion about gender and sexuality can be normalized, without it being too sexually graphic or inappropriate. 

As friendships are tested and relationships are formed, it’s a good reminder to everyone that queer kids have to deal with drama everyday just like everyone else, and that representation can be kid-friendly, funny. heartwarming, and beautiful.