Seagraves Swings into a New Chapter

Evan Hajek, Sports Editor

Senior Gavin Segraves has dominated in Albemarle County tennis ever since he moved here in his junior year of high school. Segraves began his high school tennis career in Atlanta where he captured the Georgia 6A state singles title. His resume has only improved since moving to Crozet as he won not only state singles last year, but also doubles and team titles.

However, high school tennis is only one part of Segraves overall tennis career. Segraves is also the number one ranked U-18 player in Virginia and the 80th ranked player nationally, according to Tennisrecruiting.net.
Segraves success on the court has earned him a spot on the United States Naval Academy’s tennis team, where he signed his National Letter of Intent to play on April 12 this year.

“It’s definitely going to be tough. A lot of hard work, but it’ll be worth it. I’m excited for the opportunity to play tennis and serve my country after college,” explained Segraves when discussing his commitment. Segraves recognizes the challenge, but this has only made him more determined. He is constantly working to improve his craft and has begun lifting weights and doing cardio to prepare for Navy.

Junior Alex Ix, a teammate of Segraves, feels confident Segraves will thrive with the challenge of attending and playing tennis at Navy. “Gavin’s a really hard worker. He constantly pushes the team and myself to play better and I know he’ll do the same at Navy,” Ix said.

Segraves also recognizes that he has not chosen the traditional college route but Navy seemed the obvious choice for him. “I looked at some other schools at the start of the process because I wanted to keep my options open. But, I really couldn’t see myself at a traditional college,” he said.