ACPS Recommends a Change in Class Rank

ACPS+Recommends+a+Change+in+Class+Rank+

Credit: Olivia Rentz

“In the past two decades, class rank has become less important in college admissions,” a report from ACPS central office to the Albemarle County School Board read.

On Oct. 10, ACPS central staff recommended an alteration to the 2014-2015 Program of Studies: the discontinuation of class rank.

The proposal recommends that class rank be dropped from students’ college applications for the class of 2015 and beyond.

Several board members including Eric Strucko supported the idea of discontinuing class rank, and questioned if the change could take place for the 2013-2014 school year. However, assistant superintendent Billy Haun noted that 6 percent of the total number of student applications that were sent to colleges last year have already been sent for the class of 2013. Haun said that a substantial number of students have already submitted college applications, and that it would be impossible to change the report of class rank on applications that have already been received by admissions offices.

Ned Gallaway noted his concern about the implications of dropping class rank for top decile students. “If we change [the system] and not report rank … we are taking something away from them,” Gallaway said. He wondered if there could be a way for students to opt for whether or not their respective rank is reported.

Jason Buyaki agreed. “I envision a policy where we as a division would issue rank based on student choice,” he said.

Ultimately, the Board concluded that it would not endorse any proposed class rank changes until a later meeting. “I think we need some more thought and reflection,” said Stephen Koleszar, Board Chairman.