Running in Flying Colors

Brookelyn Shantler, Student Life Editor

On Sunday, May 20th the annual James Sun Color Run will be held at the Western Albemarle track. The James Sun Color Run is an annual two-mile run that takes place every May in order to commemorate the life of James Sun. The two-mile course takes runners through the Western running trails in a large loop around the school. The course begins and ends at the track. Race day registration and check-in begin at 12:30 P.M. and the race begins at 1:00 P.M.

The James Sun Color Run was first organized in 2012 to commemorate the life of former Western Albemarle High School student, James Sun. Sun was hit by a delivery driver while skateboarding in 2011. Sun’s friends did not want to dwell on the accident, they wanted to keep his memory alive. Ever since then the James Sun Memorial Run has become an annual event as Western continues to keep his memory alive.

Throughout the years the run has had several changes. Two years ago it was decided to make the run a color run so the run would be more exciting. \

Senior Hannah Kearns, one of the organizers, says the color run has become very popular. “This is the third year to have a color aspect to the run and it has really increased participation in the race especially as students are not as familiar with James Sun’s story anymore.”

During the past two years all the proceeds have been donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation through the Virginia Chapter. Mr. Gallagher, a representative at Make-A-Wish, reached out to Ms. Miracle, one of Western’s Leadership teachers, wondering if Western would help support the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Since then, Western has donated the proceeds from the run to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, a cause that helps fulfill the wishes of children with life-threatening illnesses. These wishes have been proven to boost the morale of these kids and their families as well as encouraging these kids to continue their treatment.

Senior Kate Sinclair, an organizer of the run, explains how she became involved with the event. “ I took it on with Hannah Kearns as a pathway because the run is something we’ve always enjoyed participating in organizing, Ms. Miracle thought it would be a good idea to donate the proceeds to the cause.” \

The entire Western Leadership program helps contribute to making the run come together. Everyone helps with planning, volunteering to throw color, and participating in the race itself.

Junior Jack Masloff, one of the organizers, expresses what it has been like to plan the event. “It has been great to work with others, especially the upperclassmen and to already have experienced the race last year.”

There are a lot of logistics that have gone into planning the run, including assembling the course, reaching out to the community to increase participation, and contacting alumni to come back and participate.

All students and community members are encouraged to participate. The registration fee is only $10; children under the age of 8 can register for free.  Updates on the race can be found on the yellow sign on the cafeteria bulletin board. Any questions or registration information can be answered or found online on the James Sun Color Run website, https://sites.google.com/k12albemarle.org/jamessuncolorrun/home .