Students Participate in National Walkout

Sidney Jackson and Staff Writer

Hundreds of Western students walked out of their classrooms onto the football field for 17 minutes to honor the students whose lives were taken during the recent school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. The walkout was put in place to raise awareness for the gun control issue facing our country.

“I walked out so everyone can feel safe while going to school and you don’t have to worry about your life being in danger,” sophomore Charlotte Thomas Clarke said.

While on the football field, students sat in silence for five minutes in honor of the victims, which was followed by Abby Boitnott reading the names of those who lost their lives. There were also postcards available that could be sent to legislators demanding change.

“I think being safe at school is important and I think we need to restrict weapons from those who would use them for the wrong reasons and I think our government needs to do more than they currently have,” said Ineke La Fleur, a sophomore.

Stickers saying, “NEVER AGAIN” were passed out, signs were created to show support, and a Never Again chant was shouted by the students.

“I don’t have the solution, because I’m ultimately not an expert, but I feel something needs to be changed,” sophomore Henry Davies said.

About the Contributors
Sidney Jackson, Managing Editor

Sidney Jackson is a junior at Western Albemarle High School, and this is her third year working on The Western Hemisphere. This year, she will be acting as the Managing Editor. Outside of school and newspaper, Sidney enjoys traveling and playing with her adorable puppy Nala.

Madeleine Andrews, Editor in Chief

Madeleine is excited for her fourth year in Journalism, and is reminiscing on her past three years sitting next to the legendary Talley Johnston. She loves testing how late she can stay up doing homework, and still function the next day without a drop of caffeine.

• Students Participate in National Walkout

Features

The Government Takes On Juul

Features

Evolution Of The Juul

News

New Tri-Lab Stirs Discussion

News

Fresh Faces All Around: Assistant Principal Teresa Tyler Joins WAHS Community

News

Fresh Faces All Around: Assistant Principal Will Schaffer Joins WAHS Community

News

Amanda Green, Social Studies

News

Taylor Holder, Earth Science

News

What Happened to AP Tests at WAHS?

News

Paula Archey, Librarian

News

Sarah Terrill, Math