French Week

French+Week

Pauline Gilbert

This year, for the first time, WAHS organised the national French week from November 4th to November 10th. “This is the first time I did it” Mrs. Cone, the new French teacher said, “and I was happy to see how involved some students were.”

Indeed, even though she helped at some points, the students of the French class did most of the organization on their own.

On Wednesday during TAB, you could listen to the French songs that Courtney Berry (11) chose. “I didn’t know what she was going to choose, and I thought it was funny that she actually chose Edith Piaf and Stromae, because we studied these artists’ songs during class.” Mrs.Cone added. You could also see the French labels everywhere in the high school, and once again, the students who did it did not request Mrs.Cone’s help. You probably also noticed some people with the sign “parlez moi” (talk to me) and they would give you treats if you talked to them in French.

On Thursday, everyone was invited to come dressed in blue, white, and red, the colors of the French flag.

On Friday, the French students were supposed to ride tricycles around the high school to imitate the famous Tour de France. As it turned out, they did not have tricycles, so nothing happened for French week on Friday. “I was so disappointed about that, because I really think it could have been the best part of the week” Freshman Camille Kielbasa said. She helped looking for tricycles, which can explain her disappointment.

On Monday, you could go to Mr. Broderson’s room during lunch to eat the crepes he was making for you. “I went there and it was so good!” Nina Willms, a senior in AP French claimed. Apparently, this part of the French week was a total success, Camille even said that it was her favorite moment of all the week.

For the last day of the French week, the last activity planed has been canceled because of the weather. People who wanted to were supposed to meet outside and have a “dejeuner sur l’herbe” (lunch on the grass) but it was raining and everything was wet, they could not picnic in these conditions.

During all the week, the students of the French posted photos with the hashtag “Frenchy” or “WAHS French”  on Instagram and every level of French would have a winner who would win some homework passes. Olivia Gallmeyer was the winner of French 3 with fifteen photos posted during the week.

Now the French week is over, and globally people enjoyed it, Camille Kielbasa would even like to do it again next year. “I think that we could have done a lot more, but since it’s the first year I understand why it wasn’t the biggest, but it was really fun! Next year we will be more prepared.” Mrs.Cone agreed, and she looks forward to doing it next year, and hopefully they will be able to do both activities they could not do this year. “For the first year, it was pretty good!”