Club Fair Sparks Interests Among Students

Model UN club leaders pose with poster, awaiting arrival of interested students

Abby Lohr

The club fair is always a huge event at WAHS, full of good food, bumping music, and enthusiastic students sharing their clubs with one another. Lines of people waiting to sign up for their favorite clubs creates a scene of chaos, especially for the freshman. For the upperclassman, the club fair is a chance for students to boost their resume by leading a club with other students that share similar ideas.  

It’s a chance for students to share what they’re passionate about inside and outside of school. With only 50 minutes to look at 50-60 club posters, the adrenaline is pumping as students try to decide what clubs interest them the most.

In the midst of all the action, club founders attract both new and old members with their decorated posters and sweet treats. They offer opportunities all the way from helping with local community affairs to writing letters to soldiers overseas.

One of Western’s favorite clubs, Key Club, offers community service opportunities for students, while clubs like World Culture Club offer various cultural foods for students to eat and enjoy over the course of the school year.

New club, Project Unify, founded by junior Nell Fountain and sophomore Johnny Riordan, offers a chance for students to come together by involving in random acts of kindness. “Project Unify’s goal is to unify students of Western through random acts of kindness, sports outreach, and community events,” she said.

Sophomores Niki Karaoli and Hannah Knoll created a new club this year called UNICEF that helps raise money and awareness for kids in third world countries. They hope to use money raised to educate and overall help kids in countries that are lacking the means to survive.

The variety of clubs at WAHS offer many, different options for students to get involved in and create change in both local and global communities.