Top Ten Slumber Party Movies

Sarah Honosky, A&E Editor

It seems like no one really has slumber parties anymore, or maybe they are and I’m just not getting invited. But either way, and as incentive to bring them back, here are the top ten slumber party movies of all time. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the middle school nostalgia.

1. High School Musical

Recently, while babysitting, the 11 year olds I was charged with watched High School Musical. The blatant disrespect and mockery with which they treated this seminal classic was appalling. Do not let the legacy of Troy Bolton and Gabriella Montez be forgotten, theirs is a love story that minstrels will be singing of for years to come.

2. Mean Girls

Easily one of the most quotable movies of all time, Mean Girls is the anthem of a generation. So “raise your hand if you have ever been personally victimized by Regina George” but also raise your hand if your life was forever changed by a high school comedy that never fails to hit a little too close to home.

3. She’s the Man

“Everybody has a secret… Duke wants Olivia who likes Sebastian who is really Viola whose brother is dating Monique so she hates Olivia who’s with Duke to make Sebastian jealous who is really Viola who’s crushing on Duke who thinks she’s a guy…” is the tagline of this movie and, honestly, I think that’s all you need to know.

4. White Chicks

This is honestly the only buddy-cop movie I care to see. It taught me so many important lessons, from the true meaning of undercover to the simple truth that all problems can be solved with a dance off. Truly a modern masterpiece.

5. Dodgeball

The key component of any classic sleepover movie is that it is the kind of film you can talk through without really missing out on any plot. This movie is best watched if you can overdose on sprite and drown yourself in popcorn during the viewing. That said, there is something overtly satisfying about watching the team of underdogs ride to victory, even if Peter doesn’t deserve Kate and we all know it.

6. Clueless

Cher Horowitz is, much like Batman, the hero we deserve but not the one we need right now. The world isn’t ready for the perfection that is this movie’s deviously brilliant matchmaking/fashionista extraordinaire. But one day, Cher, one day we will be ready for you.

7. Legally Blonde

A slumber party isn’t really a slumber party until Elle Woods does the impossible by making law vaguely interesting. She also continually reminds me why feminism is important, a refresher that might be in order thanks to some of the other movies on this list. Here’s looking at you Dodgeball.

8. 10 Things I Hate About You

Heath Ledger, young Joseph Gordon-Levitt, JULIA STILES, modernized Shakespeare, and Heath Ledger again because why not. I am not sure what else you are looking for in a movie, the only thing that could have made this movie better is more impromptu musical numbers. But that goes without saying because that’s kinda how I feel about everything.

9. The Princess Bride

I shouldn’t even have to explain this one.

10. Teen Beach Movie

This is…a garbage film. But consider the following: if there is one thing better than watching a great movie with your friends, it’s watching a terrible movie with your friends and making fun of it. So go crazy kids, there is plenty of material here. But if we are being completely honest, I do have some of the songs memorized, take that as you will.