WAHS Girls Indoor Track Finishes 3rd at State Meet

Ben Donovan, Staff Writer

The girls indoor track team finished up a great season with a strong showing at the 3A state meet in early March at Liberty University. The team took home a third place finish in a meet that was delayed twice, much to the chagrin of senior Chance Masloff. “It was annoying that they kept delaying it, but it was still really fun and successful,” she said. The team, led by seniors Masloff and Annie Taylor, as well as freshman Savannah Wilson, looked very good in the track portion of the meet.

Taylor, who placed second in the 1600 meter and fifth in the 1000 meter, as well as anchoring the 4×800 meter relay that finished second in the state, had this to say when asked about the success of the team. “We had really strong performances in the long and short distance events,” said Taylor, “Every one of our relays earned All-State honors!” Masloff also had high finishes in the 1600 and 1000, placing fourth and seventh respectively, as well as running on the 4×800 team. Wilson, who focuses more on the sprint events, finished seventh in the 300 meter. He ran in two relays, the 4×400 and 4×200, both of which finished fifth in the state.

The Warriors high finish was also due in part to a very strong showing in the field events. In the pole vault, the Warriors had four of the top six vaulters, led by a second place finish by Katrina Barredo, and a third place finish by Lydia Garner in the high jump. Taylor added “the girls team’s success was a really well rounded effort.” The Warriors had a core group of seniors leading the team, but are a very young team with “some really talented underclassmen who contributed a lot!” said Taylor. The Warriors finished off a strong season and have a bright future as they look to continue this success into the outdoor season.