Berry Good

Carter Berry Takes a Leadership Role

Berry+Good

Ben Masselli, Staff Writer

Western basketball, under Coach Maynard, has produced a number of great stars through the years. Only few have been so recognizable as Carter Berry through his four year commitment to Western. Starting out in his first year, Berry became a great addition for Coach Faulconer during the freshmen basketball season. As a freshman, Berry had aspirations to one day play for varsity. The next season he played for JV and then finally was called up for varsity his junior year. Talking about his experience with the school he said, “it’s kind of unique to be able to  play through every single level of Western basketball.”

Carter Berry came off the bench for Western during his junior and senior seasons to give a powerful lift during every game. This season however, Berry evolved into a different player as many new faces were added to the team. It was an extremely young squad that included a lot of production from underclassman. Berry was the speaking captain, which was a high honor for any player and an important position for a senior, as it comes with responsibility.

Berry also played another key role of leadership and mentorship, he reflected on it saying, “I took on more of a leadership role this year because that is what a senior has to do. I saw the need for someone to step up and become someone for all the young players to look up to, I also became less of a real scorer as we had plenty on the team.” During tough games, the experience he has accumulated over the past years boosted everyone else around him. Berry influenced every player in a positive way throughout his last season, even if it was off the basketball court. Talking about his last season, Berry said, “With so many young guys on the team that have not played as much, I saw the need for someone to step up and become a person for all the young players to look up to.” Berry became just that, leading Western to a run in the conference 29 tournament that ended at the hands of Waynesboro.