Seniors Embrace Chance to Govern in Model Congress

Senator+Kristen+Richey+discusses+a+bill+on+the+Senate+floor.+

Credit: Muhannah Hossain

Senator Kristen Richey discusses a bill on the Senate floor.

Tim Dodson, News Editor

Bills related to fracking, marijuana, industrial hemp, D.C. voting rights, the death penalty, data transparency and electric cars were among those passed in either the House or Senate this morning and proceeded to the crossover sessions of House and Senate committees.

The Democratic Party faced controversy earlier in the day with the formation of the “Younger Guns” coalition, led by Democratic congressman Josh Patashnik.  The “Younger Guns” hoped to move coalition members’ bills up the dockets of committees and leverage the slim Democratic majority of three people in the House against the Democratic leadership.

Although a member of the coalition, speaking on conditions of anonymity, noted that “wrath will be felt,” the coalition failed to impact the legislative process. “I believe that the strong spirit of camaraderie in the Democratic party will overcome rumors of dissent” said Emma Kulow, the House Majority Leader.

After a lunch of Chick-fil-A, there were more than bills being proposed during the crossover sessions of committees. Congressman Amos Atwell asked Senator Andrea Garcia to Prom.

Throughout the day, many student used the hashtag  #WAHSMoCo14 to live-tweet their experiences and provide commentary on the proceedings.

Floor sessions of the House and Senate are currently in session and will end with the presidential signing ceremony around 3:30pm.

Going into the afternoon, Senate Minority Leader Danny O’Dea said that Republicans are looking to forge bipartisan support for bills. Meanwhile, Democrats are “mostly focused on social reform and environmental policy,” said Mary Swanson, the Senate Majority Leader.