Opinion: Don’t Appoint Kavanaugh!

Art by Julianne Kirby

Grace Berigan, A&E Editor

Brett Kavanaugh, Donald Trump’s nominee for the vacant Supreme Court position, has sparked tremendous controversy. Kavanaugh’s appointment to the Supreme Court is one of the worst things that could happen to the American people right now, for both his outdated politics and his alleged sexual assaults.

In 2009, Kavanaugh proposed a law preventing the criminal prosecution of the sitting president. Because the Trump administration is under legal investigation, Kavanaugh’s appointment could prevent him from being properly investigated. A hotly debated topic has been the potential reversal of Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court case legalizing abortion. This is particularly distressing to me because a woman’s right to choose is a fundamental right. Kavanaugh is also against Obama’s former policy of net neutrality, in which online data is treated equally, and believes that it violates the First Amendment.

Furthermore, Kavanaugh’s appointment poses a threat to a reasonable health care system. Many families with special needs children, as well as citizens with limited finances, rely on the Affordable Care Act (also known as Obamacare) to keep them alive. The Trump Administration has promised to decimate the ACA, and there is little doubt that this appointment would be a facilitator of this promise.

Sexual assault allegations have also been brought against Kavanaugh by Christine Blasey Ford, Deborah Ramirez, and Julie Swetnick, all former classmates of his. Ford’s alleged assault took place in the 1980s, while they were in high school. Kavanaugh allegedly held Ford down, covered her mouth, and groped her. In a hearing on September 27th, both ford and Kavanaugh gave testimony to the Senate committee. Republicans on the Senate committee have agreed to a week long FBI investigation, before the confirmation hearing.

Senator Susan Collins, a Republican from Maine, spoke to the allegation and its effect on Kavanaugh’s appointment. “Obviously, if Judge Kavanaugh has lied about what happened, that would be disqualifying,” Ms. Collins told reporters, adding, “For my part, I believe that it’s very important that both Professor Ford and Judge Kavanaugh testify under oath about these allegations. I need to see them and listen to their answers to the questions in order to make an assessment.”

Ramirez’s alleged assault took place at a Yale college party, wherein Kavanaugh, Ramirez, and several other classmates were playing a drinking game. Ramirez had been drinking and was on the floor when Kavanaugh thrust his genitalia in her face. Ramirez was at first hesitant to come forward about the assault due to her inebriation but is certain it has been the right thing to do.

Swetnick has accused Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct by describing parties at Georgetown Prep. During these parties, Swetnick alleged, women were drugged, abused, and “gang raped”. Kavanaugh dismissed Swetnick’s accusation as “a joke” during his testimony on the 27th.

It is completely surreal to me that a president’s nominee is accused of sexual assault. With this new administration, decorum and integrity seem to have vanished into thin air, and Kavanaugh’s actions are not an isolated event in the Trump administration. It is clear that Trump’s closest allies are of compromised morals, and I think that the Judiciary Committee should refuse to confirm Kavanaugh.