Train Carrying Lawmakers Hits Truck in Crozet

Caroline Lund, Mia Jevack, and Olivia Gallmeyer

Photo By: Malcolm Andrews
Scene at Lanetown Road

An Amtrak train carrying several Republican lawmakers collided into a garbage truck at Marymart Farm Road at approximately 11:17, killing one person and injuring several. Around 200 Republican senators and representatives were heading to the Greenbrier resort in West Virginia when the train hit a Time Disposal garbage truck at the crossing at Lanetown and Marymart Farm Roads, causing it to derail. Local VA 5th District Representative Tom Garrett has confirmed via Twitter that he was not on the train. The Amtrak was able to return to the Charlottesville station with one intact engine, where lawmakers were taken on buses to their retreat.

Several roads including Railroad Avenue were closed to reporters and news vans flowed into the Western parking lot following the crash. During lunch, students parked in the upper lot were asked to move their cars to open the lot to journalists. School buses were used to transport media personnel to the impact scene and to the Charlottesville Amtrak station, where Arizona Senator Jeff Flake gave a brief statement and answered press questions.

Senior Anne Patterson was returning to her home in Grayrock North after a doctor’s appointment when she approached police cars blocking the entrance to her neighborhood. Patterson says she didn’t have service and wasn’t aware of the crash until she arrived on the scene. According to Patterson, there were at least a hundred cars in the area and she saw Pegasus circling the crash as she was on her way home. She says that she could see the train and trash surrounding the truck from her home

There is one confirmed fatality from the train crash, Time Disposal employee Christopher Foley. Members of the company have set up a GoFundMe page to support his family and cover funeral costs. Two other Time Disposal employees remain at UVA Hospital, with one in critical condition.

About the Contributors
Caroline Lund, Staff Writer

One may mistake her as German, but in her senior year and first year in Journalism she is 100% American. Caroline is an avid learner of science and enjoys the occasional cat sweatshirt. In her free time she enjoys hiking and running with the occasional bear sighting.

Mia Jevack, Editor-in-Chief

Mia Jevack is a senior at WAHS. This year, she is one of the Editors-in-Chief and was the previous editor of the Arts and Entertainment section. Mia is very excited to start her third year writing for the Western Hemisphere. When she isn’t at school or frantically trying to finish her homework she usually enjoys spending her time hanging out with friends, doodling on everything, and listening to music.

Olivia Gallmeyer, Editor in Chief

Olivia Gallmeyer is a senior journalism student known for her groundbreaking work on cool girls who do cool things and her vast portfolio of pictures of dogs in blankets. She spends much of her non-journalism time drinking lots of Mudhouse coffee, reading texts for her independent study, or at rehearsal as assistant director for one of WAHS’s many theatrical productions. She is an alumni of the New England Center for Investigative Reporting and a member of the Live Arts Mentor/Apprentice Program.

• Train Carrying Lawmakers Hits Truck in Crozet

Features

The Government Takes On Juul

Features

Evolution Of The Juul

News

New Tri-Lab Stirs Discussion

News

Fresh Faces All Around: Assistant Principal Teresa Tyler Joins WAHS Community

News

Fresh Faces All Around: Assistant Principal Will Schaffer Joins WAHS Community

News

Amanda Green, Social Studies

News

Taylor Holder, Earth Science

News

What Happened to AP Tests at WAHS?

News

Paula Archey, Librarian

News

Sarah Terrill, Math