Swimming Kicks into History Books

Boys and Girls Win State Titles

Both WAHS Swim teams are reigning State Champions

The Western Albemarle Swim and Dive program had a historic night on Friday, leaving the pool with two state trophies in tow. The boys team won their first state title in school history, while the girls captured their sixth in a row. The girls locked up first place by outscoring a talented 3A field, winning by 47 points over Hidden Valley High School, and 94 points over Cave Spring High School. The boys were able to claim a comfortable 75 point victory over Hidden Valley, and 135 point lead on Tabb High School.

Highlights for the boys included a new state relay record, a new VHSL 3A individual race record, and a swimmer of the year award. The 200 Freestyle Relay team consisting of (in order) junior AJ Donovan, freshmen August Lamb and Jason Heilman, and senior Aaron James set a new state record with a time of 1:27.32.  For James, this was one of many accomplishments, breaking the 3A 50 Freestyle record in a blistering 20.85 time, as well as being honored as this year’s VHSL 3A male swimmer of the year. James also won the 100 Freestyle with a time of 46.81.

While the girls did not set any records, it was far from unexciting. The 200 Freestyle Relay team finished 2nd, with a time of 1:41.95. Senior Colleen Higgins snatched second in the 100 Breaststroke with a time of 1:08.89, while fellow senior Brazil Rule also took a second place spot with a 56.94 time in the 100 fly.

Thursday was an exciting night for the Dive team as well. The leading divers were sophomore Wilson Brown for the boys, who finished second with a score of 279.00, and junior Charlotte Norris for the girls, who finished fourth with a score of 302.50.

This might just be the start of a special run for the boys as they return with most of the team from this championship squad for next year. If they are lucky, the boys will be able to return to States next February to defend their title. The six year streak the girls hold is now the longest consecutive state title streak in girls state swimming history, and does not seem to be disappearing anytime soon. The swimmers that started the incredible run have mostly graduated, but Western continues to dominate with new athletes every year. Streaks do not happen often in any sport, so Western Girls Swimming will for sure go down in the VHSL history books. Congratulations to both the boys and girls Swim and Dive teams!

http://https://storify.com/WAHSnews/swimmers-double-up

Use this link to view the final results from the 2016 3A State Swim and Dive Meet