Facilities Expand to Accomodate Growing ESA

The science wing may look more like the ESA building with upcoming renovations

Jack Lesemann

Past the west side of the building and across the back staff parking lot, lies a mass of steel and glass which is the site of the new ESA Building. Construction began in September of last year and was aimed to be finished in 120 days, or shortly after the end of the first term of school. “(ESA) plans on occupying and being able to put furniture and have classes in the new Environmental Studies Center by the middle of February” says head of the Academy, Adam Mulcahy.

“The new building will be where students take Ecology, Environmental Science, Biology, and Horticulture courses. Next year this will be where our sophomores and juniors have their classes.” This building has been a long time coming for Mulcahy. “We have been working for almost three years to get the additional space for the ESA,” said Mulcahy. The current classroom is too cramped for the amount of students in ESA. Currently, the four different classes use the same classroom, but now there will be dedicated facilities for each class.

The new building will feature a new greenhouse which will create new courses available to the students. The new greenhouse sports automated shading and cooling for the plants, larger space for growing plants for study, and an opportunity for new courses to be conjured up.