Gannon Wilcutts: The Western Cheetah

Credit: File Photo

Gannon Willcutts leads the Warriors this season.

Tyler Phillips, Staff Writer

Inside of the walls of Western Albemarle, junior Gannon Willcutts is just like you and me. He goes to class, does his work, and spends time with friends. Put him outside in some running shoes, though, and he becomes something special. Willcutts’ track and cross-country origin story is a unique one. Based on his speed and running ability, many might think that Willcutts has been running competitively since the day he could walk, or at least that track was his first sport. But it might surprise many that he was originally a very good swimmer.

He began short-distance track in the winter of his freshman year, long-distance track in the spring of the same year, and cross-country the fall of his second year at WAHS.

“His physical talent was clear from day one, but what struck me the most about Gannon as a freshman on the track team and during his first season in cross country (as a sophomore) was his determination and work ethic.” said Cassidy (Cass) Girvin, now the head coach of boys cross-country. Willcutts also felt right at home, saying: “I found out how much fun the distance team is and how awesome the coaches are.” And what a blessing it was for him that he stuck with the team, as after two long, hard years of work and conditioning, he finally made it to the big stage.

It was the Saturday after Thanksgiving, November 29. Most normal people would still be enjoying their Thanksgiving break, digesting their turkeys. Not Gannon Willcutts. For him it was the date of the Foot Locker South Regional, one of the biggest and most competitive races in the country. Now was his chance to prove himself! The top ten finishers in the meet would advance to nationals in the “City in Motion”; San Diego. Kate Willcutts, Gannon’s mom, stood by to watch the race, but admitted that she wasn’t too nervous.

“I was mostly excited and hopeful,” she said, before she witnessed an Indy 500 performance by her son who finished in 7th place, enough to punch himself a plane ticket 2,184 miles to San Diego.

On the sensation that accompanied reaching nationals, Willcutts replied: “Overall it makes me feel incredibly lucky to be running at Western and training with the group of guys here, both of which are amazing and have helped transform me from the runner I was to the runner I am now.” But he knows he’s not done yet. The very next day he got right back outside and ran several miles to train for California.

The future for Gannon Willcutts is still blurry but very bright. Even as a junior, he is already getting contacted from several colleges, but that’s not on his mind.

“In a sport that’s so demanding mentally, college distractions can be the worst, and letting your college future get to your head can be detrimental.” explained Willcutts. “So as much as I can I steer clear of college thought, even though it will have to be addressed soon.”

The crazy thing is that he is still getting faster and stronger. By the end of his last year there is no telling just how far up in the high school rankings he could go.

“Gannon gives his best effort at whatever he attempts. He is humble and cares deeply about his teammates, the team culture, and the school as a whole.” said Girvin. “Gannon sets a great example for others. Despite his physical abilities, Gannon puts his pants on one leg at a time, just like everyone else. This attention to detail, willingness not to skip any steps (even the little ones), and hardworking attitude will serve Gannon well in whatever endeavor he chooses in life.”

Either way, we are extremely lucky to have such a fantastic runner and charismatic person at Western and everyone wishes him best of luck at nationals.

Gannon finished 28th overall at the Footlocker Cross Country Championships in San Diego, California. He was 7th out of all juniors.