Girls Swimming Dives Into New Season

Alec Martin, Staff Writer

The 2014-2015 season was huge for the Western Albemarle girls swim teams. After the girls won their fifth straight VHSL 3A state championship last season, they are poised and determined to win a sixth. This will not be an easy task, however, as the Western girl’s top swimmer, Remedy Rule, graduated last year.

After being CollegeSwimming.com’s number one recruit from Virginia, Rule accepted a scholarship from the University of Texas. Rule won the 100-backstroke, 100-butterfly, and anchored the winning 200-freestyle relay. Overall, Rule was involved in 114 of Western’s 304 points in the state meet. As such a key player in the Western girl’s championship season, it must be asked how the Warriors are going to be able to replace her.

“Remedy was our best swimmer, but we’re getting on just fine without her. We have plenty of depth,” said sophomore Amie Benson. Benson was on that winning 200-freestyle relay with Remedy Rule. Her role on the team will certainly be heightened this season.

Coach Sophie Hyman also agrees that the team can move on without their best swimmer. “Remedy was someone who would always win her event. We have plenty of depth and people who can place in their event.”

Whether or not the Western girls can pull off the six-peat, this team has proven to be a true swimming dynasty.