Nate Riley Takes Second At States

Nate has wrestled competitively since age seven.

Conor O'Dea, Staff Writer

Nate Riley has just finished his wrestling career at WAHS. He finished his career with an overall  record of 157-33 . Nate started wrestling when he was seven years old, and has wrestled throughout his four years in high school. He said, “I really started getting good in eighth grade,” and then throughout high school he improved from year to year through hard work and off season training. He spent his first three years trying to get better all the time, while he was looking up to upperclassmen such as Russ Hill and Andrew Dickerson, knowing that he would have to work hard to become as good as them.

Before he reached states, Nate had a perfect 49-0 record this year. He took his first loss in the state tournament, where he finished second.

Through his improvements Nate was guided by his coaches. “They really wanted me to do well this year and helped push me to a point where I was ready to succeed,” he said. “Coaches Mulcahy, Anderson, Peters, and coach Vince really helped me get to where I am today.” Each of his four years he has improved and he has slowly become a successful wrestler who is known throughout the state in his division. Nate is considering wrestling through college as well and might receive some offers from a few schools to go to college next year.