The Youth Vote

Tim DeSimone, Co-Editor in Chief

Two Western Albemarle students have been invited to the 2016 Democratic National Convention. Senior Yerang Ju and junior Greta Bollmeier were among 51 residents shooting for the 29 seats Albemarle County can provide.

“You have to be 18, and although I’m not, I will be by the General Election,” says Greta, the younger of the two. “You have to be a registered member of the Democratic Party, and that might be it. There aren’t that many requirements, pretty much anyone can run…It’s a lot of older people, but I have a lot of family and family friends that I’m trying to get support from,” says Greta.

Government teacher Molly Miracle loves the enthusiasm. “I think it’s great. I know it can be a longshot, but there’s also a message there that might help, the youth vote.” In her opinion Greta’s strategy is sound. “When you’re coming from outside, and you’re not a party person to begin with, you need to bring a posse with you basically, to help get the nomination.”

For those that know Yerang, it simply makes sense. She acts as Co-President for the Young Democrats club, and has been quoted before in this publication for her support of Presidential nominee Hillary Clinton. Is Mrs. Miracle surprised? “No. Not at all, but I love it. I think it’s great. It’s great for the both of them,” she said.

At the April 18th caucus, both Greta and Yerang were chosen as delegates, meaning they are able to attend the Democratic National Convention in July and cast their votes.

“I’m not sure what I want to do later on,” says Yerang, “but I want to go into government and politics…I thought it would be a great opportunity to just go out and meet other people who have been with the party and helped on campaigns, to hear their story and to see how I could be a part of that.”

Unfortunately, Yerang will have to miss the convention after a mix up with scheduling. She will be reporting to VMI, her chosen college, at the time of the event. Her seat has been given to an alternate.

“It’s incredibly encouraging to see students who want to get involved,” says Mrs. Miracle. “From what I understand, being a delegate can be one of the most influential experiences of your life…it’s certainly a very memorable event.”