Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

WAHS Students Cut their Hair for Charitable Causes

Credit: Lauren Kearns

“My hair has grown back so fast!” – Neel Rao, pictured

Talley Johnston

Many students around WAHS have given up their locks to support people with cancer.  The hair is donated to make wigs, which are then distributed to patients. Some students completely shave their heads with the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, a charity that raises money for childhood cancer research, while others have had their hair cut by friends through the event held at Western: “Wigs for Warriors.”  The hair gathered from the school’s event is donated to the “Pantene Beautiful Lengths” campaign, which makes wigs for cancer patients.

Senior Neel Rao, who shaved his head before spring break through St. Baldrick’s says,  “My friend had cancer and he beat it so I was really moved by the cause and wanted to participate and help out.  I was really nervous about it – I didn’t really care what other people thought, but I knew Prom was coming up and that was kind of scary.”  He also commented that the biggest surprise for him has been that his head is always cold.

Through the St. Baldrick’s website you can register as a “Shavee” and sign up for the Western team, and the whole team can raise money before the event. 

“I wanted to donate my hair because my grandma died of cancer and I thought it was a really good cause,” sophomore Kate Sinclair said.  Her friends opted to cut her hair at Wigs for Warriors, which was held on April 24th.