Students Surveyed on the State of Homework

“I like her optimistic view of life” “I love his singing and his salt and pepper hair”

Julia Elder, Staff Writer

Around 250 Western students participated in a survey during their social studies class over the past few weeks. The survey asked questions about homework load, group projects, and summer assignments.

Nearly 54% of respondents reported more than 2 hours of homework each night and the majority of students agreed that homework helps them prepare for class lessons. 60% of the students also reported spending more than 4 hours on each of their summer homework assignments.

There has been some speculation that this survey is the introduction of a new homework policy for the school and the county.

When asked whether this new policy would affect the actual workload assigned to students, John Hobson, a social studies teacher at Western, and a member of a countywide committee to reform homework policy, said, “I think there are a lot of ideas being discussed. One of them certainly is time, but another one is purpose.”

If a new homework policy is adopted, Hobson said that it likely would not be implemented until the 2016-2017 school year.