Boys’ Basketball Among the Elite of the Jefferson District

Matt Mandell, Staff Writer

Mid-way through their district schedule, the Western Albemarle boys’ basketball team is in second place in The Jefferson District. Only behind Charlottesville High-School who remains unbeaten in the JD.

After losing all five starters from the 2013-14 team, the Warriors are putting a lot of trust into underclassmen Ryan Ingram and Chris McGahren. As a freshman, Ingram was pulled up from the JV team and immediately jumped into a sixth man type of player. His three point shooting and ability to handle the ball stood out to Coach Darren Maynard. Now, as the starting floor general, Ingram is averaging close to twenty points a game.

Chris McGahren, a freshman, has stepped up in big games in the season thus far. The team is also getting great contributions from junior big men Carrington Murphy and Michael Vale, who are tallying up to twenty rebounds a game, collectively. Josh Casteen, the lone senior starter on the team has been key with timely three point shooting.

The Warriors look ahead to finish off their regular season schedule unscathed. In order to do so, they will have to beat JD foes Fluvanna and Albemarle on the road. Two teams with impressive records and hungry for revenge against the Warriors who beat both of them in their first match-ups.