Averi Witt Races Toward Recovery

Witt’s knee surgeries are not holding her back from her running dream.

Averi Witt Races Toward Recovery

Valerie Hajek, Staff Writer

Sophomore Averi Witt came into Western Albemarle last year, immediately earning her key role in the running  at the high school. Throughout her freshman year, she progressed and earned her spot as a top-notch runner. She ended her freshman year with a debut at outdoor New Balance Nationals, where she took second place in the freshman mile and sixth place with her relay team in the emerging elite distance medley relay. This year, Witt had to end her cross country season early due to a lingering knee problem that has caused some big issues.

Witt’s knee naturally has no groove for her kneecap to fit in, so it had trouble staying in place. Her kneecap slipped to the side and completely tore her ACL on the left side. The tendon that goes over her knee was attached too laterally, so the surgeons had to move the tendon so that it wouldn’t go straight over her knee. Witt also had to have a groove carved into her kneecap, a band wrapped around her knee, and several screws put to keep her kneecap in place. Witt has to use crutches for the six weeks following her surgery, which consisted of three procedures that took a few hours of surgery. The doctors said it would take about six months for Witt to be running without pain.

Witt has been doing everything she can to get back out running. She says, “Having this knee problem has really made me miss cross country and running. It really makes me appreciate being able to run and I can’t wait to get back out there. I know I’ll work much harder.” She has been going to physical therapy two to three times a week and has had to work on bending and straightening her knee quite a lot. Witt has just mastered bending her knee to ninety degrees. She has been trying to get in the pool as her recovery period continues. The cross country team is sure to suffer without her, but Witt says, “The team has been really supportive and I’ve really enjoyed all the help I’ve gotten.”