Deborah Ayres-Brown…One of a Kind

Annie Lorenzoni, Staff Writer

Hilarious, crazy, all-around awesome, interesting, beautiful, insane, exciting, energetic, enthusiastic, and fashionable. These are just a few of many adjectives students around WAHS use to describe the wild and wonderful sophomore Deborah Ayres-Brown.

With incredible amounts of energy and happiness, she subconsciously spends her time brightening other people’s days. Not one negative thing could possibly be said about Deborah, unless mentioning lost socks or sport bras. Although famously known for her perky and uplifting attitude, like everyone else, she has her faults, and has quickly gained a reputation in the girl’s locker room for borrowing clothes without returning them. When asked if people will ever get their clothes back, Deborah proclaimed, “I promise I will return every article of clothing back to its rightful place!”

She has about as many nicknames as she does amazing qualities, including Deb, Debster, Debbie, Dee, Deh-bor-ahh, Debstep and Debaybay. No nickname is short enough when it comes to track though.

Fans of Deborah can never seem to get a word in when cheering at meets due to her ability to zoom around the track in the blink of an eye. Her legs allow her to go at insane speeds in sprinting events such as the 4×200 meter relay and 55 meter dash. She came in eighth at the regional meet on Feb. 21, running a personal best for the 55 dash in a speedy time of 7:68.

Her relationship with Coach Whitten is one that all athletes should aim to have with their coach. Deborah describes “Mama” Whitten as, “my second mother and the mother of track.”

Deborah is not only speedy, sassy, and full of life, but she also has a lot of confidence, as depicted by her daily fashion statements. “I feel like my fashion confuses people,” she professed, but her eclectic and bold taste in clothing is something to be admired. She tries to be modest with her choices though and is quite frugal with her spending, always finding fabulous finds in clearance racks or thrift shops such as Goodwill or the 95 Cent Store in Waynesboro. It takes a lot of skill to find a leopard print coat or pink fur boots, but Deborah has it all. She certainly is one of a kind.